Title: How to Uninstall Avast on Mac: A Step-by-Step Guide
Picture this: you downloaded and installed Avast on your Mac computer to protect it from potential threats, but now you need to uninstall it for some reason. Don’t worry – in this guide, we’ll show you how to uninstall Avast on Mac quickly and easily. By the end of this article, you’ll have all the knowledge you need to uninstall Avast on your Mac, so keep reading to learn the solution to your problem.
Why You Might Want to Uninstall Avast on Mac
Before we dive into the step-by-step process of uninstalling Avast on your Mac, let’s briefly discuss the reasons why someone might want to do so:
1. Compatibility issues: You might experience compatibility issues with other apps on your Mac or encounter software conflicts that cause your system to become slow.
2. Switching to another antivirus: You may want to try out a different antivirus program to better suit your needs.
3. Performance issues: Some users might find that running Avast consumes a lot of system resources and slows down their computer.
How to Uninstall Avast on Mac: A Step-by-Step Guide
Now that we know the possible reasons why you’d want to uninstall Avast, let’s get into the step-by-step process. Follow these instructions to ensure a smooth and complete uninstallation of Avast from your Mac computer:
Step 1: Disable Avast Shields
Before you start the uninstallation process, it’s essential to disable Avast’s shields. This will prevent any interference during the process. To do this:
1. Click on the Avast icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen.
2. Go to ‘Open Avast’ and then click on ‘Preferences.’
3. Under the ‘General’ tab, click ‘Uncheck All’ to disable all Avast shields.
Step 2: Quit Avast
Now that the shields are disabled, make sure to close the Avast application:
1. Go to the menu bar at the top of your screen.
2. Click on ‘Avast’ and then ‘Quit Avast.’
Step 3: Uninstalling Avast Using the Avast Security App
To uninstall Avast using the built-in uninstaller, follow these steps:
1. Open ‘Finder’ and go to the ‘Applications’ folder.
2. Locate the ‘Avast Security’ app and double-click on it.
3. In the top-left corner of your screen, click on ‘Avast Security’ and then ‘Uninstall Avast Security.’
4. A window will pop up asking for confirmation. Click ‘Uninstall’ to proceed.
5. You may be prompted to enter your Mac’s administrator password. Enter the password and click ‘OK.’
The Avast uninstaller will now start removing the program from your Mac. Once the process is complete, a confirmation message will appear.
Alternative Method: Uninstalling Avast Manually
If you’re unable to uninstall Avast using the built-in uninstaller, you can manually remove the application and its related files. Here’s how:
1. Open ‘Finder’ and go to the ‘Applications’ folder.
2. Drag the ‘Avast Security’ app to the ‘Trash’ icon in your dock.
3. Next, click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar and hold down the ‘Option’ key. Then, select ‘Library.’
4. In the ‘Library’ folder, locate and delete the following folders: ‘Application Support/Avast,’ ‘Caches/com.avast.AAFM,’ and ‘Caches/com.avast.helper.’
5. Empty your trash to completely remove Avast from your Mac.
Now that you’ve successfully learned how to uninstall Avast on Mac, your computer will no longer be affected by any potential issues caused by this antivirus program. If you’re planning to switch to another security solution, be sure to carefully research and choose a reliable product that fits your needs. Remember always to keep your system protected from potential threats – stay safe and enjoy your Mac experience!
How to Uninstall Apps on MacBook (Permanently Delete)
Everyday Mac Software You MUST DELETE before it’s too late…
How do I completely remove Avast?
To completely remove Avast from your computer, follow these simple steps:
1. Close all running applications and make sure there are no background processes related to Avast.
2. Go to the Start menu and open Control Panel (or press Windows key + X and select Control Panel on Windows 10).
3. In the Control Panel, click on Programs and Features (or Apps & Features if you’re using a more recent Windows version).
4. Find Avast Antivirus in the list of installed programs, click on it, and then click on the Uninstall button.
5. A confirmation window will appear. Click on the Uninstall button to proceed with the removal process.
6. Avast may prompt you to restart your computer to complete the uninstallation process. If so, click on Restart and wait for the system to reboot.
7. To make sure all Avast-related files and registry entries are completely removed, download and install the Avast Uninstall Utility from the official website: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
8. After installing the utility, run it, and select the Avast product you want to remove.
9. Click on the Uninstall button in the utility and wait for the process to finish.
10. Once the Avast Uninstall Utility completes its task, restart your computer again to ensure all remnants of Avast are removed.
By following these steps, you can successfully completely remove Avast from your system.
Is there an Avast removal tool?
Yes, there is an Avast Removal Tool that helps you completely uninstall Avast antivirus software from your computer. This tool, known as Avast Uninstall Utility or avastclear, is officially provided by Avast and ensures a clean and thorough removal of all Avast-related files and registry entries.
To use the Avast Removal Tool, follow these steps:
1. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility from the official website: [https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility](https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility)
2. Save the file to your desktop or any other easily accessible location.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode. This is necessary because the tool needs to remove Avast files that would be active during normal system operation.
4. Open the downloaded avastclear.exe file by double-clicking on it.
5. Choose the folder where Avast is installed. The tool should detect the folder automatically, but if not, browse to the correct folder.
6. Click the Remove button to start the uninstallation process.
7. Once the removal is complete, restart your computer to exit Safe Mode.
With these steps, you will have successfully uninstalled Avast antivirus using the Avast Removal Tool.
Can you delete Avast Antivirus?
Yes, you can delete Avast Antivirus from your computer if you no longer want to use it or if you’re experiencing issues. To uninstall Avast Antivirus, follow the steps below:
1. Close all running applications on your computer, including any open web browsers, email clients, or other programs.
2. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog. Type “appwiz.cpl” (without quotes) into the text box, and click OK to open the Programs and Features window.
3. In the list of installed programs, locate Avast Antivirus. Click on it to select it, and then click the Uninstall button near the top of the window.
4. You may be prompted to confirm that you want to uninstall the program. Click Yes to proceed with the removal process.
5. The Avast Setup wizard will appear. Click the Uninstall button at the bottom of the window to initiate the uninstallation.
6. Avast may ask for your permission to restart your computer in order to complete the uninstallation process. Save any open files, and then click Restart when prompted.
After your computer restarts, Avast Antivirus should be completely removed from your system. If you encounter any issues during the uninstallation process, you can use the Avast Uninstall Utility to remove any leftover files and registry entries. Simply download the utility from the Avast website, run it, and follow the on-screen instructions to completely remove Avast Antivirus from your computer.
How do I stop Avast from opening on startup Mac?
If you want to stop Avast from opening on startup on your Mac, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen.
2. Choose System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
3. Select Users & Groups.
4. In the Users & Groups window, click on the Login Items tab.
5. Look for Avast in the list of login items.
6. Click on the Avast item to select it.
7. Click the – button below the list to remove Avast from the startup items.
Now, Avast will no longer open on startup on your Mac. If you want to completely uninstall Avast, follow these additional steps:
8. Open the Applications folder in Finder.
9. Locate the Avast Security app.
10. Drag the Avast Security app to the Trash.
11. Empty the Trash by right-clicking on the Trash icon and selecting Empty Trash.
Avast is now uninstalled from your Mac.
What are the detailed steps to successfully uninstall Avast Antivirus from a Mac?
Uninstalling Avast Antivirus from a Mac involves several detailed steps. Follow these instructions to ensure that the antivirus is completely removed from your system.
Step 1: Quit Avast
Before you can uninstall Avast, it’s essential to first make sure the application is not running. To do this:
1. Click on the Avast icon in the menu bar.
2. Choose Open Avast from the dropdown menu.
3. In the Avast window, click Avast Security in the upper left corner.
4. Click Quit Avast from the dropdown menu.
Step 2: Locate Avast Uninstaller
To uninstall Avast using its built-in uninstaller, follow these steps:
1. Open Finder.
2. Go to the Applications folder.
3. Locate the Avast Security icon.
4. Right-click (or Control-click) on the Avast Security icon and choose Show Package Contents from the context menu.
Step 3: Run the Uninstaller
After locating the Avast uninstaller, follow these instructions to remove the application:
1. In the newly opened Contents folder, go to the Helpers subfolder.
2. Double-click on the file called Uninstall Avast.
3. A confirmation window will appear. Click on the Uninstall button to proceed with the removal of Avast.
4. Enter your administrator password when prompted and click OK.
Once the uninstallation process is complete, you will get a message stating that Avast has been successfully removed from your system. Restart your Mac to complete the entire process.
Note: In case you cannot find the Avast Uninstaller or face any issues while uninstalling, you can also use third-party uninstaller tools like AppCleaner, CleanMyMac X, or Nektony’s App Cleaner & Uninstaller for a thorough removal of the antivirus software.
Are there any tools or utilities that can help with completely removing Avast Antivirus from a Mac?
Yes, there are tools and utilities that can help with completely removing Avast Antivirus from a Mac. One such utility is AppCleaner, a free software designed to uninstall apps and remove any lingering files or folders associated with the application. Another option is using the built-in uninstaller provided by Avast itself, which can be found within the ‘Applications’ folder on your Mac.
To use AppCleaner for uninstalling Avast Antivirus:
1. Download and install AppCleaner from their official website: https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
2. Launch AppCleaner and search for “Avast” in the search bar.
3. Select Avast Antivirus and click the “Remove” button to uninstall the app and delete all associated files.
To use the Avast uninstaller:
1. Open the ‘Applications’ folder on your Mac and locate the “Avast Security” app.
2. Double-click on the app to run it, then select “Uninstall Avast” from the menu.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to completely remove Avast Antivirus from your Mac.
Remember to always keep your system and applications up-to-date for the best performance and security.
How can I ensure all Avast Antivirus files and settings are removed from my Mac during the uninstallation process?
To ensure all Avast Antivirus files and settings are completely removed from your Mac during the uninstallation process, follow these steps:
1. Close any running Avast Antivirus application.
2. Open the Applications folder on your Mac, locate the Avast Security.app or Avast Premium Security.app and move it to the Trash.
3. Click on Finder in the menu bar, and select Go > Go to Folder….
4. Type in ~/Library and press Enter to access the user library.
5. Look for the following folders in the Library directory:
– /Application Support/Avast
If you find any of these folders and files, move them to the Trash to delete them from your system.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the System Library. Type /Library instead of ~/Library in step 4.
7. Restart your Mac to ensure that all changes take effect and complete the uninstallation process.
By following these steps, you can ensure that all Avast Antivirus files and settings are completely removed from your Mac during uninstallation.